Saturday, December 6, 2008

short statured adults

Recently I've become aware again of the prevalence of height discrimination in this country. (I thought it was just me... ) Speaking with others who are closer to average height than I am (I'm 4'11") made me aware of just how widespread, accepted and ignored this caveman problem is. Just another way for people to feel automatically superior, just like any other elitism like race, gender, weight, age, etc., etc. However, there does seem to be a general consensus that discriminating against "short people" is more okay than other crimes of discrimination. In fact there are only 2 US states that have written height or weight discrimination into their equal rights laws. Since I am shorter than most people I don't even notice when someone else is considered "short" if they are taller than me, but a friend of mine who is around 5'5" recently went on a rant about how he has been condescended to, ignored, looked over and discriminated against. It was news to me that someone so tall could be a victim of what I go through every day. And so my next post will be on this subject that shouldn't be a subject... but for now I am going to eat lasagna.

No comments: